Saturday 18 July 2020

Cloaked Carpet


Ran two traps last night in my Dodford garden. Weather was pretty ideal being overcast and only dropping to 16c overnight. About 120 species.

An early visitor was a first for year Oak Eggar which is a bit of a favourite of mine and always nice to see. I had also found an Oak Eggar larvae on the road in the village about a week ago.

Then this morning the highlight was a new species for me Cloaked Carpet. Wasn't quite sure what it was at first so grabbed my camera to take a photo before it made a break for it only to find the battery dead. I had to quickly scrabble around in my bag to grab a new battery and install it thinking the moth was going to fly off at any minute. Fortunately it was well behaved and I took a shot then potted it and soon ID'd it as Cloaked Carpet.

Other new moths for the year included Zeiraphera ratzeburgiana, had a tatty one last year but this one was quite fresh, Ypsolopha horridella, which is now regular and an early Garden Rose Tortrix

Pete Smith
Dodford



Cloaked Carpet



Oak Eggar


Oak Eggar larvae


Zeiraphera ratzeburgiana


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.