Sunday 6 October 2019

Bringsty Common October 5th

When a couple of people told me the best night during National Moth Night was the rainy one, I decided to run the trap last night as it was due to be wet but mild. Half an inch of rain produced 21 species in all and I'm delighted to say I have now joined the Clifden Nonpareil club and I have a candidate for the tattiest ever specimen. It was very active around the wet trap at 10.30pm and I think it may have lost a lot of its wings flying into the sodden grass and then up again into the nearby Buddleia. Anyway a photo attached.
List for last night (and it was ok in the heavy rain too) in no particular order: Light Emerald (1), Clifden Nonpareil (1), Red-green Carpet (1), Setaceous Hebrew Character (5), Yellow-line Quaker (5), Figure of 8 (2), Lesser Yellow Underwing (2), Large Yellow Underwing (2), Black Rustic (9), Beaded Chestnut (4), Sallow (6), Pink-barred Sallow (2), Brown-spot Pinion (4), Lunar Underwing (3), Autumnal Rustic (2), Chestnut (1), Broad -bordered Yellow Underwing (1), Green-brindled Crescent (1), Common Marbled Carpet (1), Eudonia angustella (1) and Hypsopygia costalis (1).

I'm also pleased to announce that I have identified (yesterday) a Scarce Light Plume moth Oxyptilus laetus captured this Summer in the garden and is a county first. It will be immortalised on the Moth Dissection website soon. Peter Hall
Bringsty Common: Clifden Nonpareil

Bringsty Common: Figure of 8

Bringsty Common: Gold Triangle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.