Sunday 2 June 2019

Haugh and Wigmore Rolls

The warm spell meant moth trapping. Friday night I went to Haugh Wood and although the breeze stayed with me all 3 hours I trapped, it was slow and steady. It's really nice to be getting some good micros arriving at long last. 52 species of Macro and around 30 species of micro. No unusual macro records and probably the best micro record was 8 Eidophasia messingiella, which Patrick will remember well from his previous visit. Ironically of more interest was a record for the Green Spider Micrommata virescens, when a rather large bright green female walked over my sheet. Very few Herefordshire records and none for Haugh Wood. Then last night I joined up with Rob Hemming and we trapped in Wigmore Rolls, a large Forestry Commission wood north of Leominster and more famous for its butterflies. At pack up time around 1am it was still 16 degrees and again, despite an annoying breeze, it was busy. I think between us we will top 130 species, but my two Robinsons recorded 77 Macro species and the Micros will be around 35 species once all identified. Besides the usual crew, I recorded Little Thorn (2), Beautiful Snout (2), Drab Looper (2 - yes they came to light!), Satin Lutestring (6) and the highlight for me Lunar Thorn (2). Most numerous was Capua vulgana with 245 individuals counted. Then as a surprise there were 3 more of the Green Spiders around the traps, this time males...who says they are rare? Peter Hall

Wigmore Rolls: Lunar Thorn

Wigmore Rolls: Barred Umber

Wigmore Rolls: Scalloped Hook-tip

Haugh Wood: Micrommata virescens - female

Wigmore Rolls: Micrommata virescens - male



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.