Monday 26 August 2019

Dodford moths

The seasonal lull is upon us and the traps seem to be full of brown stuff and grass moths and nothing much new so it was nice to get a few new species for the garden over the last few weeks.


Duponchelia fovealis

An Adventive / possible migrant. Probably imported on plants to garden centres. A bit worn but fortunately pictured in Manley because I hadn't got a clue what it was apart from a Pyralid.



Hemp Agrimony Plume

I have been establishing some Hemp Agrimony plants for the last 3 Years or so and I was aware that there was a Hemp Agrimony Plume so it was something I was hopeful of getting eventually. What was most surprising was how small it was. All the plumes I have ever seen are roughly the size of Common Plume. This was tiny in comparison.


Mocha

Another new moth for me. The larval foodplant is Field Maple and I have 9 or 10 Mature Field Maple so is it a possible resident or has it blown in from somewhere? I've been here 5 years and trapped very regularly over that period but who knows. I'll certainly be keeping a look out for more, especially as I very nearly overlooked it in the trap amongst a whole load of Riband Wave, Mother of Pearl, Brimstone and Yellow Shell. I know, they are nothing like but it was very early and at a funny angle...yeah maybe I need to go to specsavers.

Pete Smith
Dodford

2 comments:

  1. I've done much the same, I have a large clump of Hemp Agrimony in the garden. No sign as yet, but it's only been growing for 3 years. The neighbour has the same (because it looks nice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a great plant to have as a source of nectar for insects if nothing else. I first remember seeing its potential at Grafton Wood where it is a magnet for the Brown Hairstreak. Fortunately my wife also thinks it looks nice!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.